Skip to main content

being sad about the passing of a celebrity - and why it is okay

 (Yes this is about SOPHIE)

First off, it is okay and valid to feel sad about a person you didn't personally know dying. 

In a way you had a relationship with them, you "knew" them for years, maybe even decades and you feel as though you grew with them and you changed with them. This parasocial relationship was one sided of course, but it often doesn't feel like it. I find that, especially with musicians, because they put so much (or seemingly so much) of their own personality into their music, we feel as though they are speaking directly to us. For me, and probably many people out there, music and specific songs are connected to so many memories.

I saw rumours about her passing on Twitter first thing in the morning and it was like someone kicked me in the stomach. It hurt. I still can't listen to "it's okay to cry" without actually crying (thanks for telling me that it's okay <3) or at least feeling this deep sadness and I'm not sure if I can ever listen to her music anymore and feel happy. It felt as though a close friend had passed, even though she didn't know me and I never even got to see her in concert or in general. It felt so weird to think about how I was crying over someone I never met.

To put it in SOPHIEs words: it's okay to cry. Don't feel bad about it, it gets better. Allow yourself to grieve.

PS: if you don't know who SOPHIE is you should go listen to her music. "Oil of every pearl's un-insides" is a fantastic album and one of my favourite albums in general. The cover is one of the most beautiful ones out there and it's quite hyperpop.

I hope you're doing well and all the love,

Pluto




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to put together a great playlist

 If you've watched "High Fidelity" (the movie or the new series), you will probably remember the scenes where Rob talks about the art of making a playlist. This blog post is inspired by that, I've also added my advice and tipps. Here are 10 steps to a great playlist: 1. have a cool theme.  This can be either songs that all contain the same word (like for example "yellow") in their title or just have similar ~vibes~ (I prefer the latter tho, while it's fun to put playlists that contain the same word in the title, I don't find listening to them as interesting as to the ones with a similar musical theme). One example would be to have songs that have a light airy flow to them, or dark depressed songs. Or the most common probably ... love songs. 2. don't use too many songs by the same artist (unless that's your theme as Rob said lol). It showes more creativity (and that you know more bands and artists) if you use different ones and still manage

playlist of the month

 Hey guys,  this is the playlist of the month, hope you enjoy. Btw, "because the internet" is such an amazing album (as are all of childish gambinos albums tbh), couldn't stop listening to it, but didn't want to put all of them on this list haha. Hugs, Pluto